Monday, October 8, 2012

Review: The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong (Darkest Powers #2)

Story Synopsis:

If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl — someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I’m a living science experiment — not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization call the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters. I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control: I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends - a chaming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch - and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying. (from Goodreads)



My Review:

A couple of weeks ago, I reviewed The Summoning, the first book in the Darkest Powers trilogy. I liked that book. A lot. On to the sequel, The Awakening. Guess what? I liked this one, too!

Armstrong once again delivers a story that's fun, quirky and filled with pulse-pounding suspense. The characters are just as interesting as before. A mega-bonus (from my point of view) is that Armstrong again devotes a couple of pages to pointing out how NOT to treat people with mental illness, and for that she gets my applause and virtual hugs.

The plot is not quite as gripping as the first book, and a lot of it involves getting the characters from Point A to Point B. That said, I can't really fault a book for focusing on moving the characters from one place to another, since my all-time favorite trilogy is Lord of the Rings, and that's about 70% walking, as one does not simply walk into Mordor. Some of the best stories out there are journey stories. But with The Awakening, I got the distinct feeling that the book's real job was to set me up for the third book. Part of this was because a lot of scenes followed a patten: Chloe is, intentionally of unintentionally, testing out her powers. Let's see what happens! Readers, take note.

Even with this business-time aspect, Armstrong still manages to create a fun, page-turning addition to her Darkest Powers trilogy. Next stop: The Reckoning.

Rating: 4 stars

Rated by: Blair

No comments:

Post a Comment